Constructivism TIPR

Miss. F is definitely a constructive teacher.  When I first started observing her class I noted that she doesn't spend very much time lecturing her kids.  Much of the activities they do in class are centered on working together to solve problems.  There was one particular day when Miss. F sent the students on an adventure.  They were in the middle of a Huck Finn unit and loved it.  They were able to collaborate together in small groups and go on an adventure anywhere on school grounds.  Once they returned to class they were asked to reflect on the experience and write a short personal narrative.  It was so interesting to hear them return from their adventure excited and enthusiastic to write their narrative. 

In this particular instance, and often in class I have noticed that Miss. F does not do a great job of mentoring the students.  For instance, with this Huck Finn adventure she simply went inside the classroom and waited for the students to come back.  The lesson would have been more effective in my opinion had she been outside interacting with the students on their adventure.  Oftentimes in class she just sits at her computer and waits for the kids to come to her.  I think a more constructivist approach would be actively helping the students pursue their own knowledge by walking around the classroom and answering questions or asking questions to further students' understanding.

I have already taught my mini-lesson but looking back I could have made it more constructive by giving students more time to figure things out on their own.  I taught a girl who recently moved from Chile some strategies for learning English and a bit about the book they are reading at the moment, and looking back I could have helped her understand things better if I would have allowed her to seek out her own learning and asked good questions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Metacognition TIPR

Information Processing TIPR